Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Geo 1095: March 9, Day 798: Indoor Water Feature

So that's where the cave creek goes: inside! The door to the back patio outside the lodge is out of the frame, above and to the left, and the stairs to the upper levels appear in the upper left corner. A culvert carries water from the pool into the ground level of the lodge, where it flows between the restaurant and gift shop. I hadn't been into the lodge before, but the gift shop at the visitors' center hadn't been fully restocked for the season, and I wanted to see if I could find a tee-shirt or hat I liked. Also, I'll typically browse through the books to see what they have. But it turned out, the highlight was this unexpected water feature, which was very pretty, pleasant, and peaceful. The steady flow of water out of the cave means this "creek" runs, without a pump, year-round. It wouldn't surprise me, though, to learn there's another culvert running under the building to accommodate unusually heavy precipitation events, or warm rain on thick snow runoff. Nicely played, architects!

Photo unmodified. May 9, 2013. FlashEarth Location.

No comments: