Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Geo 1095: March 17, Day 806: Green and Gray, Green and Gray

Not the title I'd been planning, but it is Saint Patrick's Day. This is the outcrop I'd been eyeballing for literally decades, hoping to have an opportunity to stop sometime. That may sound like an easily-remedied problem, but there are a number of issues. First, of the almost exactly 35 years I've been in Oregon, I've owned a car for fewer than three of them. Second, I've often not been in control of where stops were made. Third, on what likely amounts to the majority of my trips, the participants were middle school or high school students, so I've chosen stops most likely of interest to them (and this one probably wouldn't be), and even more importantly, locations that could be explored safely by young people. The traffic here is a serious issue in that respect, though I'd trust college students to be cautious about crossing. Finally, as any trip leader knows, time is always an issue. Trying to pack as much as you can into available daylight, while making logistical provisions such as bathrooms and food stops, etc, and judging when people are getting tired enough that they're not really processing anymore, is an acquired skill. Sometimes you just have to skip things you'd hoped to do and see.

The drive-by aspect of this cut that has always drawn my eye is the clear channel cut and bedding. We'll take a closer look at those features and others in upcoming posts.

Photo unmodified. October 9, 2012. FlashEarth Location.

No comments: